In the Events section of your Dashboard, press the New Event button and select the type of event you want to create:
- Scheduled virtual event - Virtual event, fixed time, remote location
- Online action - Virtual task, flexible time, remote location
- In-person event - In-person event, fixed time, fixed location
- Pledge or interest form - Virtual task, flexible time, remote location
- Petition - Virtual task, flexible time, remote location
Then, fill in the details of your event:
- Event name: Public Name displayed on the signup page and Events Feed
- VAN event name: Use your VAN naming conventions here.
- Tagline: One line to grab attention that will be displayed below the picture on the events page.
- Event Type: Choose the event type that best fits your event. If you are using VAN, these will be mapped to your corresponding VAN event types and statuses in VAN Settings.
- Public vs Private events: Public events will be visible on your organization’s public feed (mobilize.us/yourslug) where as if the event is Private volunteers can only sign up for the event if they have the specific link (mobilize.us/event/yourslug/1234)
- Description: This is the description of the event that will be visible from the event sign up page. Use fun and interesting language to recruit more people for your event.
- Note: If you have a lot of users creating events, create an event photo + description in Google drive folder for users to pull from quickly!
Custom VAN settings: Event creators have the option to set custom VAN settings when creating a new event. This overrides the settings Admins enter in the VAN settings tab.
- Example: My organization is using a Weekend of Action event type in VAN, but this event action is a Phonebank.
- Photo: When uploading a photo to your event, try to use a 2:3 aspect ratio and note that the thumbnail is how the event will be seen on the Events Feed and signup pages.
- Private details: Attendees will receive information included in this field in the registration and confirmation emails they receive. Use the Private Details field to add a script, training video, best practices document, or other information for your volunteers.
- Reply-to email: If volunteers respond to any event email, it will go here. It should be someone who will be able to respond and answer day-of questions like “Do I need to bring a phone charger?”
- Schedule: Select the frequency of the event and the dates of the event. Add times based on occurrence of event! Mobilize suggests scheduling recurring events out for no more than 4 weeks at a time, in case the location changes!
- Location: the event address can be marked as public or private. A private location will only be displayed in the confirmation email attendees receive automatically upon sign up/
Key words: Create, make, add, events, event, canvass, phonebank